Monday 3 May 2010

Banana Coconut Muffins

I have a vast collection of cook books and love nothing more than a lazy afternoon curled up with a cuppa reading my books and planning future kitchen adventures. Google reader has quickly become an extension of my cookery book collection and I regularly read cookery blogs for inspiration and ideas. Coffee Muffins is a great blog written by a work colleague of Mr M's and as a regular reader I could not help but have a craving for some muffins. Like many households our fruit bowl always contains at least one (and often several) over ripe banana and in order to use them up I turned to another of my favorite blogs Dinner with Julie and adapted her Coconut Banana Muffin recipe to suit the ingredients in my cupboard, and did not include fresh coconut. A major plus of this recipe for me is the use of cups, which saves on having to be precise with weights and also makes the muffins super quick to make.


Banana Coconut Muffins
(adapted from Dinner with Julie)
Makes 10 muffins

3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup stone ground wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup dessicated coconut, plus extra to sprinkle
2 mashed ripe bananas
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup grape seed oil
1/3 cup low fat natural yoghurt
1 medium egg

  • Preheat the oven to 180oC, line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
  •  Sift flours, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the dessicated coconut and mix well.
  • Mash the banana, sugar, youghurt and egg in a separate bowl.
  • Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. 
  • Divide the mixture between the paper cases, sprinkle with the remaining coconut.
  • Bake for around 25 minutes until puffed and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment