Sunday 18 April 2010

Spicy Bean Stew

Whenever I come across a recipe that catches my eye I often jot it down on a piece of paper, or star it in my google reader. The best ones then migrate to a notebook or recipe card and their origins are often lost, although since writing this blog I have made a special effort to keep a note of where I find my recipes.
My Spicy Bean Stew started in my notebook as Chilli Black Bean Stew and with a few adaptations from the original it is one of our favorite store cupboard meals. The original recipe came from an article called The Winter Vegetarian from the Waitrose Food Illustrated magazine and can be found on their website. The stew is a perfect one pot supper and by substituting the dried beans with canned ones it can be ready in around 30 minutes.



Spicy Bean Stew
(serves 4)
150 g dried mixed beans
1 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, roughly chopped
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 tsp harrisa paste
120 g dried apricots, roughly chopped
2x 400 g canned cherry tomatoes

1) Soak the beans in cold water overnight, strain, rinse and cook according to the packet instructions until tender (45 min - 1 hour).
2) Heat the oil and cook the onion and chilli until soft (around 5 min), add the ginger and cook for 5 minutes.
3) Add the harrisa, apricots and stir in well, add the tomatoes and beans.
4) Cook uncovered for 5 - 10 minutes until piping hot.
5) Serve with a good dollop of natural yogurt and chopped coriander.

I love to eat this stew with lovely freshly made flat breads, which are far superior to any shop bought equivalent, as seen in the photo above. Mr M prefers corn bread, I always make for 4 and freeze the leftovers for another day and will post the most amazing corn bread recipe which I will make when I serve up the leftovers next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment