Friday 16 April 2010

Tasty turkey pie

I don't do pastry, with the exception of pate brisee, which I don't count due to its simplicity - to me pastry is something that is tricky to make and often unsuccessful, and I have always felt that shop bought pastry is a tasty and cost effective alternative to making your own. The ease of this product is negligible, however if sourcing the pastry is difficult. Our recent move has taken us from a city flat with a nearby supermarket, plentiful delicatessens and an Asian greengrocers with every spice under the sun, to a village with a post office and corner shop and not much else. No more can I nip out for the missing ingredient for my creations at the last minute and when I decided the left over bacon and turkey in the fridge would be perfect in a pie the only way I could achieve this was by making my own pastry.

Tasty Turkey Pie
(serves 2)

1/2 quantity flaky pastry (I used this flaky pastry recipe from the Be-ro cook book, the extra pastry freezes easily for later use)
2 turkey breast fillets, sliced
3 rashers lean bacon
1 garlic clove, crushed
Small onion, thinly sliced
250 g mushrooms, sliced
small leek, thinly sliced
thick white sauce (made with 1 tbsp plain flour, 1 tbsp low fat spread and around 200 ml skim milk)
olive oil
salt and pepper

1) Fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft (2-3 min), add the turkey and fry until browned.
2) Add the mushroom and leek and fry for 5-10 minutes until they are soft. Season the mixture to taste.
3) Spoon the mixture into a pie dish and pour over the turkey mixture.
4) Roll the pastry to a 2-3 mm thickness, to cover the pie dish and cover the turkey mixture.
5) Place into a very hot oven (Pre-heated to 200 oC) and turn the heat down to around 175 oC after five minutes. Bake for around 25 - 35 minutes until cooked through (I am still getting to grips with my new fan assisted oven so you should adjust the temperatures and times to best suit your oven).


This pie works equally well with a veloute by substituting the milk in the white sauce with chicken stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment