Wednesday 7 April 2010

Vegetable Risotto

The last month or so has been pretty hectic in our household and I have sadly neglected our nutritional needs when it comes to the main meal. First packing our old, drafty flat and then moving into our new home has meant that not only have I barely had time to cook but every time I want to make something more complicated than a frozen pizza I have had to hunt through boxes and bubble wrap for the correct tools. The result of quick kitchen fixes was that by the end of last week Mr M and I were starting to feel a little run down and most defiantly in need of some vitamins.

Risotto is in my mind the kitchen cure-all. When you are feeling low it is comforting and warming and with the right ingredients it can be the most amazing mood enhancer. It is also the perfect way to pack in as many different vegetables as possible while still making a delicious and enjoyable meal. For my basic vegetable risotto I loosely follow Arrigo Cipriani's Risotto alla Primavera recipe from the Silver Spoon, although I have altered the vegetables used to suit our preferences and what could be found in the local supermarket (as my veg garden hasn't yet been started and we haven't managed to find a local veg box scheme yet). The recipe bellow is our veg choice with my own adaptations, although I fully recommend the original veggie suggestions.


Vegetable Risotto
(Adapted from Risotto alla Primavera from the Silver Spoon)
Serves 2
Vegetables:
1 tsp olive oil
1 crushed garlic clove
2 oz mushroom caps, sliced
1 tbsp onions, finely sliced
10 asparagus spears, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
1 small leek, white part finely sliced
75 g fine beans, sliced
salt and pepper

Risotto:
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely sliced
175 g risotto rice
1 l chicken stock (vegetable stock works just as well)
20 g butter
3 tbsp parmesan, finely grated
salt and pepper

Vegetables:
1- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, fry the garlic for 30 sec and remove.
2- Add the mushrooms and fry for 3-4 minutes untill softened. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes.
3- Add the remaining vegetables and cook for 5-10 minutes until softened.
4- Season the vegetables to taste.
5- Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.
Risotto:
1- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook over a medium heat until soft.
2- Stir in the rice, lower the heat and cook for a few minutes until the rice is translucent.
3- Add the stock gradually, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil and continue to add liquid as each addition is adsorbed.
4- After 10-15 minutes add the vegetables and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes until the rice is tender and creamy.
5- Remove from the heat, stir in Parmesan and butter. Season to taste.

According to the recipe only 750 ml of stock should be needed for the amount of rice used, but I used closer to 1 l. With the exception of a no stir recipe, that I love making I never find the amount of liquid in the recipe to be enough. I have no idea if this is due to the type of rice I use or the way I cook the risotto. Does any one have similar problems or is it my own impatience?

No comments:

Post a Comment